Diversity & Inclusion in Research
In 2021 the Young Foundation carried out research for the Social Research Association into experiences of diversity and inclusion among UK social researchers.
The project was funded by Power to Change, and Kantar Public. More than 950 researchers took part in an extensive survey, followed by a qualitative study to gain deeper understanding. The report, 'Far to Go: Diversity and Inclusion in Social Research', covers:
• Perceptions of workplace culture and inclusion
• Experiences of entry to the profession and progression within it
• The need for inclusive research and procurement practices
• What organisations are doing about diversity and inclusion, and what is making a difference
Download the report (pdf)
View the launch webinar recording (YouTube)
'A social class perspective on diversity and inclusion in UK social research'
October 2021: This webinar was arranged and chaired by Ella Fryer-Smith, with speakers Lee Chan (Which?), Jan Shury (IFF Resarch), Steve Lacey (independent researcher), Jackie Carter (Manchester University) and Sinead Hasson (research recruitment specialist).
View the webinar recording (You Tube)
‘In Conversation’ sessions at the SRA annual conference, November 25, 2021
‘Making research organisations more inclusive’ (YouTube)
‘Making research practice more inclusive’ (YouTube)
More resources on Diversity & Inclusion in Research:
Market Research Society
Survey report into diversity and inclusion in the sector
Social Mobility Commission
Socio-economic background and career progression in the Civil Service
Ethnic Diversity and Inclusion in Insight
British Academy of Management
Equality, Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect in Business and Management Higher Education Institutions: interim report
British Sociological Association: report, 2021
Race and Ethnicity in British Sociology
McKenzie Delis Packer review of diversity and inclusion in the UK workforce
Creating a culture of inclusivity in research
Toolkits to interrupt bias in organisational processes
Chartered Management Institute
• Moving the Dial on Race practical guide - Read here.
• Delivering Diversity - Read here.
• Digital microaggressions and how to handle them - Read here.
• Start, Stop, Continue: how to make your leaders more inclusive - Read here.
• How to start talking about workplace racism - Read here.